Providing the highest quality care is Lifepoint Health’s top priority. We make significant investments in quality care and patient safety, including staff, technology and infrastructure to help drive innovation and enhance the care we provide.
About the Lifepoint National Quality Program
The Lifepoint National Quality Program serves as the enduring framework and foundation for our strategic approach to improving quality across our system. The program fuels our ongoing efforts to ensure consistent, high standards of quality and patient safety in communities nationwide. It focuses on three fundamental priorities, while always keeping patient and family engagement at the center:
- Leadership that empowers people
We take a team-based approach to care in which clinicians at all levels are empowered to speak up on behalf of their teams, our patients and their families to enhance the quality care we provide.
- Proven systems of performance improvement
We focus on constantly improving quality in a number of ways, including through the work of a Quality Oversight Committee, dedicated clinical leadership councils and the Lifepoint Patient Safety Organization (PSO), which is certified by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
- An organization-wide culture of safety
We foster a “just culture” in which our clinicians and employees are empowered to speak up when a mistake is made or if they see a potential problem. Our EthicsLine provides an around-the-clock, confidential channel for employees to report ethics and compliance-related concerns raised in good faith, without fear of retaliation.
With these three pillars at its core, the National Quality Program utilizes both qualitative and quantitative measures to create a more complete picture of quality care and patient safety at our facilities.
Lifepoint Health National Quality Leader Designation
Celebrating successes is crucial to sustaining a strong culture of safety. A key component of our National Quality Program is recognizing facilities that have successfully implemented programs and processes to achieve the highest standards of care.
Facilities that have demonstrated a capacity to continually and measurably improve quality and patient safety are named Lifepoint Health National Quality Leaders. Achieving designation is a rigorous process in which facilities work closely with quality and safety experts to evaluate how they provide care, and adopt and implement best practices.
Notable Quality Achievements
By adhering to the principles of the National Quality Program, we have meaningfully advanced quality and safety in a number of ways, including:
- Maintaining a system-wide trended reduction in preventable harms – despite the COVID-19 pandemic – for more than a decade.
- Our facilities meeting accreditation standards from the Joint Commission and achieving Chest Pain Center accreditation
- Our facilities and teams being recognized for their achievements with rising Leapfrog scores, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Star Ratings and Health Grades Safety Excellence Awards.
- Being chosen for initiatives such as a Hospital Quality Improvement Contract (“HEN 4.0”) engagement with Health Services Advisory Group and a contract with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to be a pre-approved support provider for any emergency.